Monday, July 25, 2005

i am school on a saturday

about a week ago, i auditioned for a simple promo for a cable network. the previous auditioners took their time. it was a very thorough interview, i thought. i entered the small studio space with the casting director. there i found the director i was auditioning for was one of my best friends. he had told me about the project. still i forgot.
i was funny. i was more or less relevant. in fact, i was so creative, the clients couldn't see me in the role. they wanted something more real, with hints of 'accidental' brilliance. i gave them a velvet box full of precious gems. they didn't want that. they wanted a cardboard box full of rocks which might be taken for treasure.
my friend relayed this to me: "i gave them a list of ideas. they poured over them for a day or two, and when they came back...well, they were the exact same ideas. some of them less so."
this was yet another client asking for improvised testimonials. this gives a less-scripted, fresh approach. unfortunately, without a script writer entering the process at any point, the final product, full of essential ingredients, often bakes for half the time. this is how advertisers contract trichinosis.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This photo, it's disturbing. At first I was like, "That's a side of meat, no mystery there." Then the more I look at it, it starts to look like a low angle on a sneaker with some gruesome something stuck to its undersole.

7/25/2005 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought it was half of a human torso

-Kobyrama

7/26/2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger maryk said...

Matt, YES. During that audition, I was like, Dave, why are you trying to dumb this down? I guess he knew that the clients would not go for smart/original/a little bizarre over a half-chewed oyster so the audience can let it slip down without having to expend too much energy.
Dave was laughing, but as soon as I walked out, I thought, I am not getting this job. As someone who acts in commercials for rent money, I guess I need to get over my defiance of taking direction I don't agree with?
Or stop bitching and get out of the business?

7/26/2005 12:21 PM  
Blogger ablebody said...

yeah, he mentioned you and a few others as having many ideas but the clients couldn't see it. george got a role in it. don't ever stop bitching.

7/26/2005 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home